This qualification is designed for a wide range of learners who wish to develop their understanding of the safe handling of medication in a health and/or social care context. These may be learners who wish to access this training with a view to progress to further qualifications or employment within health and social care, to complement other qualifications within apprenticeship frameworks within health or health and social care, or to develop within their current job role within health and social care.
Learners must be aged over 19 and have lived in the EU for the past three years.
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification.
This is a QCF qualification with the following mandatory units:
- Understand medication and prescriptions (Y/601/9571)
This unit provides an introduction to the many types of medicines learners are likely to encounter in a work environment. It introduces some of the legislation about medication and sources of information and guidance.
- Supply, storage and disposal of medication (K/601/9574
This unit provides learners with an understanding of the requirements for safe handing, storage and disposal of medication and the roles and responsibilities of staff in relation to these procedures.
- Understand the requirements for the safe administration of medication (T/601/9576)
This unit will provide learners with an understanding of the safe administration of medication. It covers the process, routes and methods of administration and some of the more common side-effects and adverse reactions to medication.
- Record-keeping and audit processes for medication administration and storage (F/601/9578)
This unit provides an opportunity for learners to develop an understanding of the audit process, the records that must be maintained regarding the administration of medicines and issues of accountability, responsibility and confidentiality.
This qualification supports progression to further learning in the following areas:
- Level 2 and 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care (Adults) for England
- Level 2 and 3 Diploma in Clinical Healthcare Support
- Level 2 and 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Level 2 and 3 Certificate for Working in the Health Sector
- Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Level 3 Certificate in Stroke Care Management
- Level 3 Diploma In Allied Health Profession Support
- Intermediate and Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Health & Social Care
Workbook – on-line or paper-based.