Autism is a condition which presents itself as a wide spectrum of disorders, and is prevalent through the UK. People who have autistic spectrum disorders can be affected differently, with cases ranging from mild to severe.
Throughout this qualification, learners will gain an understanding of the different spectrum of autistic disorders and how they can affect people in a variety of ways, as well as explore the importance of using a person-centred approach to provide support. Learners will also understand how to use appropriate communication skills and positive behaviour to encourage individuals with autistic spectrum conditions to live fulfilling and independent lives.
Learners must be aged over 19 and have lived in the EU for the past three years.
This course is suitable for anyone who wishes to develop their understanding of autism and the principles of supporting individuals to live healthy and fulfilled lives. The course will benefit anyone working, or looking to work, with individuals who have an autistic spectrum condition.
This course is split into six manageable units:
Unit 1: Introduction to autism
Unit 2: Using a person-centred approach to support individuals with autism
Unit 3: Communication and social interaction in individuals with autism
Unit 4: Sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism
Unit 5: Supporting positive behaviour in individuals with autism
Unit 6: Supporting individuals with autism to live healthy and fulfilled lives
Successful completion will help support a number of job roles within the Health and Social Care sector, where you may be working with people with learning disabilities in your day-to-day role:
- healthcare support service worker
- clinical healthcare support worker
- healthcare assistant
- nursing assistant
- health education/health promotion worker
- care assistants/assistants/support workers in residential settings
- health care assistants/support workers in community and primary care environments
- health care assistants/support workers in acute health environments
- care assistants/support workers/key workers in domiciliary services
- care assistants/support workers/key workers in day services
- personal assistants employed directly by the individual they support or their families.
Completion of the qualification may enable you to progress into the above job roles within the Health and Social Care sector, as a new entrant or as part of your ongoing career development.
You could also progress to the following Apprenticeships:
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Health and Social Care
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Health (Clinical Healthcare Support)
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Health (Healthcare Support Services)
If you’re interested in progressing to further study at the next level of vocational learning the following qualifications are also available:
- NCFE Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care (Adults) for England
- NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Individuals with Learning Disabilities
- Level 3 Certificate for Working in the Health Sector
- Level 3 Certificate in Working with Individuals with Diabetes
Work books, on-line or paper based.